HarvestChoice Labs uses ESRI ArcGIS Server as a web-based spatial data sharing/exploration platform. This post presents a quick example application using Port Sheds dataset.
A big part of our experimentations at the HarvestChoice Labs is focused on creating web-based application development. Many of these innovations are already being embedded in posts/articles throughout the HarvestChoice Main and Labs websites. Sharing documents, even if they are big, over the internet is increasingly easy; but figuring the best platform for sharing spatial dataset has been a challenge due to size, skill, required software, and so on. To benefit a broader user-base, we need a quick way of publishing/sharing any format (vector and/or raster) of spatial dataset, and, we believe, users need a quick way of browsing the data without having to download and use highly specialized GIS software. We've been experimenting multiple platforms for recent years--currently we're experimenting with the ESRI ArcGIS Server platform. Yes, the server software is commercial, but it's on us; users do not need to have anything other than a modern web browser and a reliable internet connection.
Example: Port Sheds
In this example, we quickly showcase what the data look like, let users choose a particular port shed and see its attributes, and execute a simple query function (e.g., which port sheds have the most maize production?). Try it out yourself!
- Table of contents: Turn on/off individual layers
- Map tool bar icons:
- Zoom in/out
- Click and retrieve information
- Measure distance
- Query tools:
- Query by maize area: Query and display the port sheds that matched user’s criteria e.g. Port sheds with Maize harvested area > 1500000 ha. The qualified port sheds will be displayed in the results content with highlighted color on top of existing map.
- Query by rural population: Query and display the port sheds that matched user’s criteria e.g. Port sheds with population > 4000000
- Query by cattle density: Query and display the port sheds that matched user’s criteria e.g. Port sheds with cattle density > 300
- Print: Print maps and tables of user defined queries
- Results: Display query results and highlighted them in the map viewer window